Participation in group therapy can help people wrestling with a wide variety of issues. Group work is widely accepted as an effective, evidence-based mode of therapy; research indicates that, for many, it is even more effective than individual therapy. A variety of therapeutic approaches incorporate group work, e.g., Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). Our clients find that combining group with individual therapy yields profound benefits as the client and therapist can process in individual sessions issues that arise in group.
CCM provides an array of opportunities for clients to participate in group work. Our groups are usually run by two therapists, often one female and one male. Costs are substantially lower than fees for individual sessions and generally are covered by health insurance. Currently, we provide all of our groups remotely via a platform suitable for telehealth, such as Zoom.
The Many Benefits of Group Therapy
Group work provides a variety of benefits to clients. Some of the more obvious benefits are:
- Clients feel valued and heard – not merely by the therapist, but by group members
- Clients benefit from mutuality, universality and cooperation – from experiencing directly that we are not alone with our burdens, that others have similar problems. When we share our burdens in group, we generally find that we can more easily to bear them
Longer-term group work can have even deeper, more profound benefits. Among them:
- The group process helps clients achieve healthy individuation, which leads to increased personal growth in general;
- Participation in positive group relationships strengthens our ability to build positive relationships in our families and day-to-day lives; and
- Group work can help us overcome barriers to change in a variety of contexts, including relationships, careers, and unwanted behaviors or addictions.
Groups Offered by CCM:
CCM offers the full range of group work related to providing DBT. We also provide opportunities for general therapeutic process groups. You can find a full menu of our current group offerings on the right side of the page. If you’re interested in joining one of our groups or would like more information about our current offerings, please reach out to us using the contact information at the bottom of this page.