Have you heard of Brené Brown? Brenéis a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work who has spent the past decade studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame.
Counseling Center of Maryland’s Cheryl Taylor has undergone an empirically based training and certification program based on the research Brené Brown, called The Daring Way How to Live a Daring Life. Fundamental components of the Brene Brown philosophy include the importance of knowing what your values are. The program also underscores the power of vulnerability, practicing courage, and building resilience skills which all matter when addressing thought, emotion, and behavior. This integrated approach is how we help people transform the way they live, love, parent, and lead. Fundamental components of the Brené Brown philosophy include being able to live fulfilling wholehearted lives following these ten guide posts to live wholehearted living.
1. Cultivating Authenticity: Letting Go of What People Think
2. Cultivating Self-Compassion: Letting Go of Perfectionism
3. Cultivating a Resilient Spirit: Letting Go of Numbing and Powerlessness
4. Cultivating Gratitude and Joy: Letting Go of Scarcity and Fear of the Dark
5. Cultivating Intuition and Trusting Faith: Letting Go of the Need for Certainty
6. Cultivating Creativity: Letting Go of Comparison
7. Cultivating Play and Rest: Letting Go of Exhaustion as a Status Symbol and Productivity as Self-Worth
8. Cultivating Calm and Stillness: Letting Go of Anxiety as a Lifestyle
9. Cultivating Meaningful Work: Letting Go of Self-Doubt and “Supposed To”
10. Cultivating Laughter, Song, and Dance: Letting Go of Being Cool and “Always in Control”
Brown’s methodology demonstrates that life is an arena where people are constantly being judged and we all fall but have to grow to keep going. The philosophy also helps in the understanding of your hard-wired relationships and helps you choose who to be intimate with and who’s worthy of hearing your story.
Another aspect of How to Live a Daring Life methodology is discovering the power of vulnerability. Many people hate the term vulnerability because they see it as a sign of weakness. Being vulnerable is often viewed as something negative but it reality is sign of strength. Watch this Ted Talk with more than 15 million views on the power of vulnerability.
CCM will be hosting a three day seminar for those interested in learning to live the Brene Brown philosophy. Click here for more information.