Pauliann is a psychotherapist at The Counseling Center of MarylandTM providing couples therapy, individual therapy, family counseling, and group therapy. She is a heart-centered, integrative clinical practitioner dedicated to helping people navigate major life transitions and crises; cultivate more ease, joy, and balance in their everyday lives; develop an ever-deeper connection to their most authentic selves; and enrich their intimate and social relationships.
Pauliann brings a compassion-driven, client-centered, and MindBodySpirit perspective to consultation and treatment; and provides a safe, comfortable space in which to connect, heal, and grow. She combines traditional psychodynamic, systems-oriented, and behavioral approaches with non-traditional, holistic, movement and action-oriented approaches in her work.
Pauliann understands that mental health issues are rarely the result of one event and that emotional, psychological, and social well-being are all dimensions of mental health that are subject to change under stress. Usually, issues develop over time as the result of linked causes. For example a difficult job, a challenging relationship, or a significant trauma can cause shifts in thinking, feeling, and mood that, in turn, color our perceptions, tax our energy levels, impact our ability to function productively, and challenge our ability connect with others. Pauliann’s multi-dimensional and holistic approach to therapy explores a variety of different modalities and therapeutic practices to generate a completely personalized experience, and aims to provide her clients with a practical “toolkit” of strategies to alleviate symptoms and suffering; and to promote healing, growth, and well-being.
Areas of Pauliann’s expertise include:
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of mood disorders, including depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorders, and medication management; learning disorders and special needs
- Long-term effects of trauma, including childhood neglect, physical and sexual abuse, and PTSD
- Healing troubled relationships, including with one’s inner self, between couples, children/adolescents and families, peers, students and their educational environments, as well as workplace/professional conflicts
- Relationship and couples counseling, including pre-marital concerns
- Family systems issues, including divorce, re-marriage, blended families and parenting concerns, as well as, special needs children
- Issues with the “Sandwich Generation” – those struggling both to raise children and to care for aging parents
- Navigating crisis and major life transitions, including (but not limited to): role-changes and aging, separation & divorce, relocation, career changes & job loss, physical crisis, existential and/or spiritual crisis
- Loss and grief
- Substance dependence and abuse, and other compulsive behaviors
- Coping with somatic issues and critical physical conditions such as chronic pain, cancer, arthritis, Parkinson’s and other medical conditions
- Gender identity
As a licensed clinical social worker in the Greater Washington Metro area, Pauliann has nearly 20 years of experience guiding clients through tough transitions, times of crisis, and generally “stuck” places. She is certified and/or highly trained in numerous therapeutic approaches, including: attachment theory; dialectical behavioral theory (DBT); cognitive behavioral theory (CBT); conflict resolution; psychodrama; mind-body medicine; yoga therapy; mindfulness and meditation instruction; various models of couples therapy (including Imago, PAIRS [Practical Application of Intimate Relationship Skills], the Gottman Method, and others); as well as, coaching in communication skills, body and energy awareness, movement, and breathing. She is also trained in Accelerated Resolution Therapy (ART). In addition to providing services for individuals, Pauliann is an experienced group therapy and workshop facilitator, and retreat leader.
Pauliann graduated from Harvard University; and received her Masters of Social Work (MSW) in Clinical Social Work from Howard University. She also has her 200hr and 500hr Yoga Teacher, Yoga Therapy, and Reiki Master Certifications from the Institute of Integrative Health at the University of Maryland.
Pauliann lives in Gaithersburg, MD, where she also has her own practice, and enjoys working from her home office and studio. She is the proud mother of two “launched” young adult children. She is a lifelong learner, avid reader, and student of yoga and meditation for over 20 years. She also loves to travel and is currently interested in doing more group work with her clients.